Okay, folks just a simple thing today. Being weekend let us not focus on new places, a lot of places already added to the bucket list you see!
Heard that famous proverb- When in Rome do as the Romans do.
Well, it is applicable to India as well. Just kidding. We all know what this proverb means. Don't we ?
There are few things that are legal and yet you can not do that in India. Sad, ain't it?
Today I will be listing out all such things that you must not do in our country and places with some weird restrictions.
- Public display of affection in India is a no no. You will be stared upon, call it cheap or sit in India, in public places you do not kiss or PDA.
- We are the land that introduced the world to Kamasutra but it is a taboo here to speak about sex and sex education.
- Menstrual cycle! Sigh, what do I say? One of the sure things that is a taboo in India for women is entering and/or offering prayers/worship at certain temples/places of worship. Why is this practiced? Is it the tradition that we don't or can't break?
- Smile at people as a form of greeting but avoid, handshakes unless the other person is the first one to initiate.
- There are few temples where non-Hindus aren't allowed. Some of them include :
- Kapaleshwar temple(Tamilnadu)
- Jagganath temple(Orissa)
Just these five things that you as a traveler need to know. The culture and rich heritage , visit us and you shall experience it.
P.S. : India is not the only country with restrictions on non-Hindus being allowed into temples. Malaysia, Thailand to name a few only allows natives into the holy place.
I am participating in the #A-ZChallenge. The theme being A-Z of travelling in India.Come along and take the journey with me to experience incredible India.
Also linking it to day 16 of UBC
You can read my posts so far for the challenge here.
Labels: #A-Zchallenge, #india, #taboo, #UBC